At the Get Published Writers Conference in Bozeman this past June, where I was a speaker, my friend Lynn Kinnamon, the conference chair, shared these new words. All were published in the Merriam Website Online Dictionary in the last year or so. How many can you define?
1. NSFW (abbreviation)
2. jeggings (n)
3. photobomb (v)
4. eggcorn (n)
5. emoji (n)
6. click fraud (n)
7. upcycle (v)
Part 2 in two weeks
1. Not Suitable For Work
2. denim leggings
3. to appear, uninvited but on purpose, in a photograph
4. words or a phrase commonly misheard, e.g., misunderstood lyrics; comes from the word acorn.
5. symbol used in email or text messages to express an emotion not conveyed by the words themselves
6. deliberately clicking on an online advertisement repeatedly, to cost the advertiser money or drain their pre-set ad budget; a nasty thing to do
7. to make something new out of trash, such as sewing a skirt out of old t-shirts or cutting and polishing a wine bottle to make a tumbler